Watermelon is a true fruit of summer. Available from the time the hot weather starts it’s a staple in our summer diets. This delicious granita is alcohol free so it’s perfect for kids of all ages!
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Whole Mint Sprig
- 1 Slice of Lime Zest
- 3 Lbs. Watermelon, cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, ming, lime zest and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and cook for one minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool, then strain; remove mint sprig and lime zest.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the watermelon until smooth. Strain the pulp from the juice into a medium bowl; you should have about two cups. Discard the pulp.
- Add the sugar mixture to the watermelon juice and whisk to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9 inch square pan and freeze for 45 minutes. Scrap with a fork, being sure to break up any large clumps, then freeze for three hours more being sure to scrape all the mixture every half hour to prevent large, ice chunks from forming.
- Scoop into bowls, serve and enjoy!