Slow cooker recipes are an excellent way to start a hearty meal early in the morning without worrying about lots of time and energy spent on a good meal in the evening. This delicious tamale-style recipe uses the slow cooker to create a delightful meal everyone will enjoy!
- 2 Lbs Tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Cups Sweet Corn Kernels
- 1 15oz Can Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 7oz Can Green Chilies, drained
- 2 Tablespoon Egg Replacer
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Teaspoon each Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- 3/4 Cup Cornmeal
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Pimentos
- In a large slow cooker, combine the tofu, onion, garlic, tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, and green chilies.
- In a blender combine 1 tablespoon of the egg replacer, 1 tablespoon of the water, salt and pepper and pulse until frothy. Pour into the slow cooker and stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Rinse the blender and combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of egg replacer and water. Add milk and oil. Pulse until frothy.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the egg mixture and the pimentos and mix with a fork until well combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture on top of the tamale filling and cook on low for eight hours.