In French, the potato is known as pomme de terre, or apple of the earth. It’s no surprise then that the two pair together perfectly in this delicious side dish. Rich and filling, you will delight at this quick, relatively simple and lovely dish.
- 8 Medium Yukon Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 Cups Granny Smith Apple, shredded
- 1 Cup Leek, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Bacon
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 Cups Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350?F and prepare a 3 quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Layer half the potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish, followed by half the apple, half the coconut bacon, half the salt and pepper, and half the cheese.
- Repeat the layers but do not use cheese.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream, garlic and nutmeg. Pour over the potato layers and top with remaining cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil and bake for 15 minutes more. Top should be golden brown, bubbling and potatoes should be fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.