Indian food is delicious and lends itself very well to vegetarian cooking. Many of these ingredients can be found in your local grocery store so have fun and enjoy!
- 1 lb. Potatoes, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Black Lentils (Urad Dal)
- 1 Teaspoon Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1/2 – 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Pinch of Asafoetida Powder
- 1 Cup Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Chile Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Tumeric
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger, minced
- 2 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Cilantro, chopped
- Bring a large pot of well salted water to boiling and add the potatoes. Cook for about 20 minutes or until tender, then drain and roughly mash so that large chunks remain.
- In a large skillet heat the oil slightly then add the black lentils, bengal gram, mustard seed, and red pepper flakes in the oil until it begins to sputter. Sprinkle the mixture with the asafoetida powder, then stir in the onion, green chile peppers and curry leaves.
- Cook until the onion is lightly browned, about 3 minutes, then add in the potatoes, tumeric, ginger and salt.
- Cook and stir until the potatoes are completely reheated; about five minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lime juice and cilantro, serve and enjoy!