Hearty and delicious, this ragout recipe is sure to warm your soul as well as your stomach. You don’t need to peel the eggplant but can if you prefer your eggplant without the potentially sour skins.
Eggplant and Chickpea Ragout Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 1 Eggplant, cubed
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt, divided
- 2 Cups Unsalted Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 15oz Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tablespoons Capers, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Cups Yellow Cornmeal
- 3oz Soft Goat Cheese
- 2 Teaspoons Thyme, minced
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, then add the onions and eggplant and cook until lightly browned and soft; five minutes stirring frequently.
- Add in the raisins, red pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cinnamon and cook one minute longer, then add the tomatoes, 1/2 cup of water, the vinegar, chickpeas and capers. Increase the heat to boiling and then reduce to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- In a medium saucepan bring four cups of water to boiling.
- In a medium bowl mix together the cornmeal and remaining salt with two cups of water until smooth. Pour into the boiling water and whisk constantly. Reduce the heat to medium-high and continue to stir until mixture pulls away from the sides.
- Stir in the goat cheese, thyme and pepper and mix until cheese is melted. Divide cornmeal mixture between six serving bowls and top with a portion of the eggplant mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!