This simple casserole is perfect for filling, nutritious meal for you and yours. With plenty of nutritious vegetables, this will round out your meals for the day with a taste of home.
- 1 (16 ounce) package of penne pasta
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion – thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale (curly or otherwise) – thinly chopped
- 2 cups white button mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese – shredded
- 2 cups milk (2% or Whole)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups crumbled corn chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a large pot, salt water and bring to a boil; add pasta and cook for 7 – 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pan, splash a generous helping of olive oil and bring to high heat. Add red onions and cook until just turning brown. Reduce to medium heat and add mushrooms and kale, stirring occasionally until soft. Add garlic and cook for about 3 more minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, turn to medium high heat and add butter. Once melted, add white flour slowly, stirring between each addition until flulffy and bubbling in pan – about 1 minute. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, adding more until it’s all smoothly incorporated. Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Turn heat to medium–low for 10 minutes.
- Spray large casserole pan with oil, and add in the pasta from earlier. Spread cooked vegetables from earlier evenly across the top. Pour cream sauce evenly over the vegetables. Cover with crumbled corn chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges of the casserole are bubbling and the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and serve hot.