Here is a recipe for a build your own tofu turkey, just in time for the holiday!
Tofu Turkey Recipe
- 5 16oz Packages Extra Firm Tofu, crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
- 1 Red Onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Celery, finely diced
- 1 Cup Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1/8 Cup Dried Sage
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 Cup Tamari
- 3 Cups Boxed Herb Stuffing, prepared before hand
- 1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
- 1/4 Cup Tamari
- 2 Tablespoons Miso Paste
- 5 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Honey Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- Line a colander with cheese cloth and add all the crumbled tofu. Top with another layer of cheesecloth, then set over a bowl and weigh the tofu down with a heavy weight such as a large can.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat two tablespoons of the sesame oil until hot then saute the onion, celery and mushrooms until tender. Sprinkle with the garlic, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, rosemary and 1/4 cup of tamari sauce and cook, stirring well, for about five minutes.
- Combine in a large bowl with the prepared herb stuffing and toss until combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400?F and grease a cookie sheet.
- In a small bowl create the glaze by whisking together the 1/2 cup sesame oil, 1/4 cup tamari, miso, orange juice, mustard and orange zest.
- To Create Your Tofu Turkey:
- Take the tofu from the refrigerator and remove the weight and top layer of tofu, leaving a one inch layer of tofu in the colander. Set the scooped out tofu aside to be used later.
- Gently brush the tofu in the colander with a small amount of the glaze. Carefully scoop your stuffing mixture into the hollowed out shell in the colander.
- Take your scooped out tofu and layer it over the top of the stuffing, pressing down firmly and carefully smoothing it over.
- Turn the stuffed “turkey” out onto a cookie sheet, flat side down; you can gently mold it into an oval shape if you prefer at this time.
- Brush with half of the glaze and top with the fresh rosemary sprigs.
- Cover with foil and bake for one hour. Remove the foil and baste with remaining glaze, then bake for an hour longer or until golden brown.
- Serve on a platter and enjoy!