This no-turkey turkey is perfect for a vegetarian Thanksgiving. The puff pastry shell gives it delicious flavor while the seitan provides a meaty texture! Try it this year and see!
- 2 1Pound Loaves Multigrain Bread
- 2 Tablespoons Margarine
- 2 Carrots, minced
- 2 Celery Stalks, minced
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Parsley, minced
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Sage
- 5 1/2 Teaspoons Egg Replacer
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 16oz Packages Chicken-Style Seitan, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 Cup Gravy
- 1 Package Frozen Puff Pastry, thawed
- The day before tear the bread into cubes and leave out to dry in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat melt the margarine, then stir in the carrots, celery and onion. Cook for about ten minutes or until the onion is softened and turning golden brown.
- Add the onion mixture to the bowl with the bread cubes, then add the parsley and sage.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg replacer, water and vegetable broth, then pour the mixture over the bread cubes and onion and gently fold until everything is evenly moistened.
- Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400?F, then line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick spray.
- Brush the seitan with gravy on all sides and arrange in overlapping slices in a row on the foil. Press the stuffing around the seitan to cover it and press the whole thing neatly into an oval.
- Roll out the pastry sheets and arrange so that they make a rectangle with a slight overlap; seal the edges with cold water. Drape over the seitan and stuffing mound and trim the excess away.
- Bake for 1 – 1 1/4 hours or until the puff pastry is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!