Spicy chili is a family favorite and being a vegetarian is no reason to miss out! Try this spicy southern recipe today and remember, a true Texas style chili never adds beans!
- 2 Dried Guajillo or Pasilla Chilies
- 2 Dried Ancho Chilies
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Firm tofu, cubed
- 1 Cup Coconut “Bacon”
- 3 Large Sweet Onions, chopped
- 2 Green Bell Peppers, chopped
- 2 Serrano Chilies finely chopped
- 6 Tablespoons Garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 1 28oz Can Diced Tomates
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, roast the dried chilies until they are toasted. Remove from heat, cool and place in a bowl. Cover with water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup of the liquid. Peel and remove seeds and stems. Pop into a blender with reserved liquid and puree. Set aside.
- In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion for 5 minutes, stirring often, until translucent and soft. Add bell pepper and serrano chilies, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in spices and cook for one minute. Add tofu and tomatoes and 1 Cup of water, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.