Why limit your strawberry-rhubarb experience to pie? These delicious bars are sure to be a hit and put classic strawberry-rhubarb taste into a hand-held bar.
- 4 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 4 Teaspoons Corn Starch
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Rhubarb, diced
- 1 Cup Strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Orange Zest
- 1 Cup Uncooked Oatmeal
- 3/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ginger
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Slivered Almonds, coarsely chopped
- In a small bowl, whisk together one tablespoon of the orange juice and the cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, 3 tablespoons orange juice and orange zest. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat to low. Partially cover and cook for 8 minutes or until the rhubarb is fork tender. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook for one minutes, stirring constantly; mixture should thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, both types of flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Stir in the 1/2 cup orange juice and the vegetable oil until the mixture becomes crumbly; crumbs should be pea sized.
- Using non-stick coooking spray, coat a 9 inch square pan and press two cups of the oat mixture into the bottom. Spread the strawberry-rhubarb filling over the top and sprinkle with remaining crumble mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack then cut into 12 squares