Split peas are found in the dried beans and lentils section of your grocery store. This recipe calls for green split peas but they come in a variety of colors!
- 1 Cup Green Split Peas
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Chipotle Chile in Adobo Sauce
- 1 Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Onions, diced
- 3 Celery Ribs, diced
- 4 Teaspoons Garlic, minced
- 1 14oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- Soak the peas in water overnight.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, then add the paprika and chipotle chile. Stir, then add the sweet potato, onion, celery and season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for ten minutes then add the garlic and saute two minutes later.
- Drain the peas then add them to the pot along with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour. Add the tomatoes, then cook for 30 minutes longer.
- Serve and enjoy!