Who’d have thought that lasagna could be fixed in the slow cooker?! With this recipe you can set up a delicious slow cooker meal of tasty vegetarian lasagna; it’s half the work but all of the flavor!
- 4 Cups Spinach, well-washed and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Garlic
- 1 Lb. Vegetarian Sausage, preferably spicy
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Basil
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Crushed Fennel Seeds
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 oz. Stewed Tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine
- 1/2 Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 Cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 12 Lasagna Noodles, uncooked
- 1 Lb. Ricotta Cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook until it is just beginning to wilt. Be careful not to overcook!
- Line a plate with several thicknesses of paper towels and remove the spinach from the pan to the towels. Gently cover with another few layers of paper towel and lightly press to remove any excess oil.
- Add the onion and garlic to the saute pan and saute until onion is translucent. Add the sausage and cook, being sure to crumble the sausage into small pieces. Add the spices and the tomatoes. Cook for two minutes then add the wine. Mix well and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together the parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Grease the bottom and sides of your slow cooker and place one cup of the “meat” mixture in the bottom. Layer 3-4 four lasagna noodles on top, breaking them to fit if necessary. Add one-third of the cheese mixture to the top of the noodles.
- Add half of the remaining meat mixture, top with another 3-4 noodles and top that with cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Let sit 20 minutes before serving.