This sensational side brings bold taste and bright accents to your dinner. Served in individual acorn squash bowls its a lovely touch to Sunday Dinner.
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 15.5 Oz Can Chickpeas, drained
- 2 15.5 Oz Cans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, peeled and diced
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1 Cup Dried Apricots, snipped or chopped
- 1/2 Cup Brandy or Dry White Wine
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme or 1/4 Tablespoon Dry Thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 1 lb. Acorn Squash, halved and seeded
- Preheat oven to 350?F.
- Heat oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until browned.
- In a separate bowl, combine chickpeas, kidney beans, apple, cranberries, brandy and honey. Stir until everything is coated and combined. Add to onions and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Fill acorn squash with mixture and place on baking sheet. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Place top half of acorn squashes back on each squash as a lid and bake “covered” for another 20-30 minutes or until squash are tender.