Roasted garlic is fragrant, fruity and delicious and though a whole head of garlic may seem extreme, it’s absolutely perfect in this hearty soup.
- 1 Head Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Leeks, white parts thinly sliced, green parts removed and discarded
- 3/4 Cup Celery Hearts, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 14.5oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 Summer Squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cup Quick-Cooking Barley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove any dry, flaking layers from the outside of the garlic, then trim off the top so that all the cloves are exposed. Place, cut side up, in a baking dish and drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cloves are fork tender.
- Cool slightly, then squeeze all the cloves into a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Combine the garlic, vegetable stock, leeks, celery, basil and black pepper in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for ten minutes, covered, until leeks and celery are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, squash and barley and return to boiling; reduce to a simmer. Simmer ten minutes more or until the barley is tender.