Exotic fruits make this salad more than a salad; it’s an adventure. But if finding these tropical specialties is difficult in your community, opt for more common fruits such as mango and regular oranges!
Persimmon, Blood Orange and Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Break the pomegranate apart into quarters. Immerse each quarter in a bowl of cool water and use your fingers to loosen the seeds. Discard peel and membrane then drain the seeds.
- Cut one persimmon, mango or papaya in half, remove cores, and chop into half-inch thick slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the salad greens and green onion. Set Aside.
- Build Pine Nut-Persimmon Vinaigrette by cutting the remaining persimmon, mango or papaya in half and removing the core. Scoop out the meat and discard the skin. Place meat in a blender or food processor together with blood orange peel, blood orange juice, honey, shallot, dijon mustard, cinnamon, allspice and dash of pepper. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup of vinaigrette over the top of the salad greens and toss to coat.
- Divide onto chilled salad plates and arrange persimmon and blood orange on top of greens. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and serve with a side of vinaigrette.