This decadent salad is topped with “praline” walnuts. If you or someone you know is allergic to walnuts, they can be supplemented with pecans for a similar taste and result. Make a few extra ahead of time and have some left-over for a treat at a later date.
- 2 Cups Walnut Halves
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 5 Oz. Arugula
- 1 Head Bibb or Butter Lettuce
- 2 Ripe Pears, halved, cored and sliced thinly
- 1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons Raspberry or Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Honey-Dijon Mustard
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine nuts and sugar with 1/4 cup of water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until all the liquid has cooked out; stir constantly for the last two minutes. Pour nuts onto a foil-lined baking sheet, spread them out and allow them to cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, lettuce, cranberries, cheese, and pears. Toss gently to combine and set aside.
- In a blender, combine vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Slowly add oil to create an emulsion. Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Coarsely chop nuts and sprinkle over salad.