Sweet and smooth parsnips are the vegetable of choice in these crispy fried veggie patties. They’re sure to be a hit at any meal and are perfect for snack times!
- 1 Pound Parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Vegetable Oil
- Add the parsnips to a large pot and cover completely with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender; about ten minutes.
- Drain and mash, then set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter then add the onions and cook until translucent; about five minutes. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until a thick paste forms. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until a thick sauce forms; about ten minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the sauce, parsnips, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands and form into patties.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, deep skillet until the temperature reaches 350?F.
- Fry the patties until browned on both sides, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot!