Traditionally meat based, this recipe uses the mushrooms and green beans to take the place of the meat. Serve it over a hot bed of noodles and sprinkle with a dash of finely chopped fresh parsley.
Mushroom and Green Bean Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 16 oz. Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 8 oz Green Beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet over high heat, then add the mushrooms and cook until browned on all sides; 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the tomato paste with 1/4 cup of vegetable stock in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the skillet and saute the onion and bell pepper until softened; about five minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Transfer the onion-pepper mixture to a slow cooker with the tomato sauce mix, the paprika, green beans, and remaining stock and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 30 minutes before time is up, add the mushrooms and remove the lid. Cook on high for 30 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- Slowly whisk in the sour cream and serve over a bed of hot noodles.