Adzuki beans are sweet and filled with helpful nutrients. They bring the “meat” to this simple and easy to make soup recipe.
- 1 Cup Dried Adzuki Beans
- 2 Cups Green Onion, chopped and divided between white and green
- 1/2 Cup Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, crumbled
- 2 Cups Red Potatoes, quartered
- 2 Tablespoons Miso Paste
- Soak the beans for at least four hours, preferably overnight, then drain; reserve the liquid.
- Grease a large saucepan or Dutch oven and heat over medium-low heat. Add the white parts of the green onions, sprinkle lightly with salt and cook for 5-7 minutes, covered.
- Add the mushrooms and beans, then cover with the reserved soaking liquid and bring to a boil over medium heat, covered.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes or until the beans are tender; add water if necessary. Add the potatoes, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Add one cup of the broth to a measuring cup or bowl and add the miso paste; whisk to dissolve then pour back into the bean mixture and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle with green onions before serving.
- Serve and enjoy