This soup is a summer time delight; it utilizes one of the pickier garden vegetables, the eggplant, and combines it with the hardier garlic while allowing you to use your grill for most of the cooking! If your grill comes with a side burner, almost the entire soup can be cooked outside. If you enjoy chunkier soups, skip the blending and cook it all outdoors!
- 2 lbs. Eggplant
- 1 Bulb Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 3/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 Cup Cooked Rice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- Grated Parmesan Cheese for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 375?F.
- Cut the eggplant in half and brush light with olive oil. Remove the first, loose layer of the garlic bulb, then slice off the top so that the tops of all the cloves are showing. Brush with garlic and together with the eggplant, place face down on a heated grill rack.
- Cook the garlic and eggplant on the grill rack for 30-45 minutes or until browned and softened. Cool and remove the skin of the eggplant.
- Take the garlic bulb and squeeze the cloves into a large sauce pan. Add the eggplant, vegetable broth, tomato paste and oregano. Stir to combine. Heat over medium-high heat to boiling then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In batches, puree until smooth in a blender or food processor and then return to the pan.
- Stir in rice and sugar then season to taste.
- Heat for five minutes and serve hot; top with cheese if desired.