Scones have an old-world charm and often get a bad rap for being dry and biscuity. These scones, however, are moist and enjoyable. Serve them warm or enjoy them cold with a delicious cup of tea.
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/3 Cup Vegan Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Egg Replacer
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 3/4 Cup Whipping Cream
- 1/4 Cup dried Cranberries
- 1/4 Cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 Teaspoon Finely Grated Orange Peel
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Juice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400?F. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter using a fork or pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.
- In a blender. mix egg replacer and water until frothy. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and add whipping cream, cranberries, chocolate and orange peel. Mix gently and add to the flour mixture. Stir gently with a fork until all the ingredients are just combined.
- Turn dough out of bowl and onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 10-12 strokes or until dough is smooth. Divide dough in half and gently press each half out into a 6 inch circle.
- Precut each circle into six wedges and place the wedges 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12- 14 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool slight.
- While cooling, make an orange glaze by mixing together the powdered sugar, orange juice and vanilla. Add additional orange juice as necessary to reach desired consistency and drizzle glaze over warm scones.