This delicious cherry crisp uses fresh dark cherries rather than canned pie filling. The fresh cherries give a different texture and true bursts of flavor that canned pie filling lacks.
- 6 Cups Dark, Sweet Cherries, pitted and stemmed
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lemon Peel, finely shredded
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Corn Starch
- 3/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Cups Pastry Flour
- 1/2 Cup Oatmeal, not quick cooking
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Pistachios
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, chopped and chilled
- 1/4 Cup Buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 375? and grease a large rectangular baking dish with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cherries, sugar, lemon peel and juice, and cornstarch. Stir together, then gently spoon into the baking dish and set aside.
- In a food processor pulse the pistachios until they are finely ground, then add the pastry flour, oat meal, brown sugar, baking soda and powder, salt and cinnamon and pulse several times to make sure it’s well mixed.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles cornmeal, then leave the processor on while you stream in the buttermilk. Turn off and gather the dough together with your hands.
- Crumble the topping evenly over the filling and bake for about 40 minutes or until filling is bubbling and topping is browned.
- Cool for 30 minutes and serve warm!