One of the keys to a classic cherries jubilee recipe is lighting the brandy on fire. Be careful! The initial flame will be tall, so be sure to keep the dessert clear of any hanging decorations or other flammable items. When the flame dies down, continue to feed it by gently stirring the sauce until all the alcohol in the brandy is consumed.
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Pound Pitted Sweet Cherries, rinsed
- 1/2 Teaspoons Orange Zest, finely grated
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cherry or Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Brandy
- 3 Cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- In a large saucepan whisk together the sugar and cornstarch then add the water and orange juice and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; whisking constantly.
- Add in the cherries and orange zest, then return to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Spoon the ice cream into 6 serving bowls.
- Remove the cherry mixture from the heat and stir in the extract, then pour in the brandy and ignite, shaking the pan until the flame extinguishes itself.
- Spoon over the ice cream, serve and enjoy!