Seaweed is high in nutrients and can be quite delicious. The seaweed used in this dish is Wakame which should be softly warmed and not over cooked as it will get slimy.
- 1/4 Cup Wakame
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 Celery Rib, diced
- 1 15oz Can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Cups Frozen Baby Lima Beans, thawed and drained
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 12 oz Kale, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- In a small bowl cover the wakeme with cold water and let sit for 15 minutes. Drain, squeeze out any extra liquid and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat and add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender, then add the beans and broth. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer at medium-low and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer half of the soup to a food processor and puree until smooth, then return it to the pot and add the kale. Cook for 5 more minutes, then stir in the oregano, nutmeg, cayenne and wakeme.
- Serve and enjoy!