Apple Crumble is a warm and spicy treat that can be cooked up in just a few minutes. With simple, easy to find ingredients it can be made in single servings or as a large party desert. Adjustments are simple and an apple can be added or subtracted without adjusting the ingredients.
- 4 medium baking apples, Pink Lady or Gala are excellent. Try a Granny Smith if you prefer tart-er flavors.
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- Lemon Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Quick Cooking Oatmeal
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Melted Vegan Butter or Margarine
- Preheat oven to 350?F. Lightly grease your baking dish.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into bite sized pieces. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add apples, sugar, maple syrup and water. Sauté until apples are fork tender. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, oatmeal, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add melted 1/4 Cup of margarine and stir to combine.
- Spread half of the oatmeal mixture in the bottom of the baking pan. Spread the apple mixture on top and cover with the remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown.