Pesto is a bright, bold flavor and the arugula pesto in this recipe gives it a peppery kick that pairs beautifully with the creamy artichokes.
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 4 Artichokes, trimmed
- 3 Cups Arugula, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Basil, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 2 Teaspoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- In a large pot bring 4 quarts of water, the lemon slices and sea salt to a boil, then add the artichokes and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Puree all the rest of the ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Remove the artichokes from the boiling water and run them under cold water in the sink. Cut off the stems and open the leaves to reveal the choke; scoop out choke with a spoon and discard.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture in the blender into the center of each artichoke and the outer leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!